About the Program
The electrical engineering program provides a solid and practice-based understanding to enable students to enter the workforce and be quickly productive. The program stresses necessary theory with applications to circuits, electronics, signals and systems, control systems, communications, computers, antennas and microwaves, instrumentation, power systems. The program has an excellent balance of classroom instruction and hands-on laboratory experiences. Students develop problem solving skills and engage in the creative process of design.
The course of study leading to the Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering is a practice-oriented curriculum. We have outstanding state-of-the-art undergraduate lab facilities open for instruction and hands-on applications. Program students gain a solid foundation in the underlying principles reinforced through practical experience so that our graduates are effective workers immediately after graduation.
The various fields of electrical engineering include the following:
- Electrical Energy/Power Systems – Conventional and alternative generation, transmission and distribution of electrical energy safely, efficiently and economically.
- Control Systems – Analysis and design of systems with feedback using traditional and modern techniques, including robotics and electronics applications.
- Communications – Analysis and design of systems and electronics to send and receive information over various transmission media.
- Electronics – Analysis and design of circuits with electrical devices for applications in power systems, communications and controls.
- Electromagnetic Fields – Analysis and design of antennas such as those used in cell phone technology and microwave systems.
- Computers – Design of digital systems with modern devices such as microprocessors, VLSI circuits and FPGAs to fulfill the needs of larger systems used in communications, controls and power systems.
- The electrical engineering program provides a solid foundation for each of these fields with a set of electives that enhance the student’s understanding and abilities.