Objectives and Outcomes
Consistent with the mission and the goals stated above and with input from the constituents of the mechanical engineering program, the following educational objectives have been adopted by the department.
Graduates of the WVU Tech Mechanical Engineering program will:
- be successful in the practice of mechanical engineering
- advance to positions of technical and/or managerial leadership
- be successful in graduate studies, if they choose to pursue advanced education
- be able to obtain professional registration, if they choose to, after appropriate professional experience
- be dedicated to life-long learning in their professional career
Consistent with the mission of WVU Tech and in compliance with ABET criteria, the Mechanical Engineering program at WVU Tech emphasizes the development of a well-rounded engineer with a strong background in mathematics, sciences, engineering analysis and design. Graduates of this program will be able to practice engineering as professionals or pursue graduate education and advanced studies.
Upon graduation, they will be able to demonstrate:
- an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.